Yesterday I went to the southern part of the island to visit the US Embassy for the final step in the "document authentication" process. Documents such as birth certificates, marriage certificates, etc must go through a series of stamps and approvals before another country will trust that they are authentic. First you have to get a special copy of the document from the state in which the event occurred. Then you must get it authenticated by the State Department, which was easy for us living in DC. The final step is authentication by the Consul at the US Embassy here in the UAE. These documents will be used in our residency visa applications.
As one would expect, the US Embassy was beautifully architectured and extremely well-protected. I wanted to get a few photos, but I probably would have been arrested had I done so (there were quite a few signs indicating that photography was prohibited). There was a long line of non-Americans waiting to get into the embassy, and I was quite embarrassed as the guards insisted that I cut in front of them for my screening. After two thorough screenings, I parted with my mobile and water bottle and headed to the embassy. There was an even larger crowd of folks inside the embassy, presumably waiting for visas to enter the US. The embassy staff work behind thick, dark slabs of glass. It only took me about 20 minutes to get my papers processed and get back on my way.
Another requirement for the residency visas is a medical exam. Patrick and his friend Chris went to get theirs yesterday. Unfortunately they arrived behind a pack of Chinese men and had to wait for hours. It was especially unfortunate for Chris, who is deathly afraid of needles. The medical exam involves a blood test and chest x-ray. We have heard that if there's anything wrong with you - whether it be AIDS or hepatitis - you will not be granted a residency visa.
In other news, we've gotten word that our apartment will not be ready until Jan 20. We've extended our reservation at the Meridien for a few days, and then will likely need to move to a slightly less posh hotel. Unfortunately they have removed Christmas Town. I've posted one more pic in honor of it.
1 comment:
Kerry & Patrick,
I have enjoyed "tagging along" this past month on your amazing adventure. What an education I am getting.
Happy New Year!
Fondly,
Anne (Corridan)
Post a Comment